Do I need POPIA?
The President of South Africa proclaimed that the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI Act or POPIA) would commence on 1 July 2020 with a 12 month grace period ending on 1 July 2021.
Essentially, if you are domiciled in South Africa or you process personal information in South Africa, then you need to comply with POPIA. In addition, the processing of some personal information is excluded. For example, if you are processing purely for a personal reason or as a household activity then POPIA won’t apply to you.
Let Viv Greene Attorneys help you navigate your next step towards POPI compliance.
Responsible parties will need to:
- Appoint an Information Officer.
- Complete an Impact Assessment.
- Amend contracts with operators.
- Report data breaches to the regulator and data subjects.
- Check that they can lawfully transfer personal information to other countries.
Contact us to undertake a Privacy Impact Assessment.
By completing this questionnaire, we’ll be able to assess:
- The impact of applicable data protection laws (like the POPI Act and GDPR) on your organisation, and
- The best way forward – what action will meet the requirements of your organisation.
Based on the information you provide, we’ll either send you an email with next steps to take or set up an online meeting with you to discuss the most suitable solution for you and your organisation.
Register with us for assistance at a cost of R575.00 per month or an all-inclusive (discounted) fee of R6 000,00 for 12 months.
We believe that our clients are paying for our expertise and ability, therefore we work collaboratively and cooperatively with our clients to ensure that we provide expert services.